wnd's weblog


June 2014
Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa Su
26 27 28 29 30 31 1
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 1 2 3 4 5 6
Categories
Archive

N900/Fremantle and Iodine

15 June 2014 09:11:31 maemo, software

Grab a minimal-dependency iodine client start up script from here.

Long story short: I've rewritten iodine-client-start to have minimal dependencies and to run with standard Bourne shell. The only additional packages this script should require are iodine and iproute.

Back in the days when Nokia N810 was my main and only "internet tablet", I discovered iodine, a IP-over-DNS tunneling... thing. I set up my own server and tried to set up the client with provided iodine-client-start script. Things didn't work out-of-the-box and I soon discovered number of dependencies. Because I was keen to see iodine in action, I quickly built a package with all necessary dependencies in it. If my memory serves me right, I had to strip down things like ipcalc to run on Diablo, and compile some others. Eventually I got Iodine to work, and never bothered to properly package things.

When I finally got a N900 of my own, I tried to set up Iodine client for it as well but failed. Life being busy and all, I never get around to get things working. Until two weeks ago. I was walking back home from downtown and being nice and sunny day, I stopped to sit on a bench. I can't remember what I was going to check online, but in any case I tried to establish an internet connection using an open AP that happened to be there. It turned out it was one of those that requires a login. One thing lead to another, and by the time my head hit the pillow that night, I had a nice little script ready for field testing. Much to my surprise it worked without a hitch - except that the routing to my own subnet was broken from my iodined.

Permalink

Post comment

Nick:

Add 5 and 9 (required!):

Comment: